Mobile DJ Forums
Sign in to follow this  
djcheezysteve

music

Hi all and thanks for letting me join the forums ! Quick question does anybody else enjoy classic 80s funk or am i the only one?

Welcome to MDF.

I love 80s funk music but very rarely get to play it at the events I do, apart from the obvious tracks that everyone know Rick James Cameo etc but I Do have a lot of that genre.

Me too. I was a club DJ during the 80s and a lot of my vinyl is from that period.

Me too. I was a club DJ during the 80s and a lot of my vinyl is from that period.

Same here..  I've still got most of the vinyl.

Love listening to it but if ever I try to add a couple of tracks in my set say during buffet someone always says its boring . glad a few of you still like it .

Boring? Strange, as it's back in fashion now - Uptown Funk, Sax, Brass Construction on a Sainsbury's ad....

I get quite a few bookings where 70’s/80’s soul and funk are appreciated, there’s still lots of Soul Weekender people out there.  But as always it’s knowing your crowd and playing what’s appropriate for them.

• Like 1

Welcome along

I love 70s and 80s funk - that was my era as a youngster (well along with Ska, Punk, Disco, Jazz Funk etc lol!)

I often play funky tunes as background music and find that a lot of people wiggle and foot tap to it, throw some curves on their way to the bar etc. However it flops big style on the dance floor for most north eastern gigs. If there is a large contingent of southerners (especially london/home counties) then I can get away with it.

It's quite strange - I hate to generalise but I do find that in the north east people like their music with a bit of an edge to it. The southerners like 'cooler' music, east yorks/humber tend to be big on the glam rock and of course the north westerners often love a bit of madchester indie/britpop.