Mobile DJ Forums
BitterVirtue

Hello All

Hi all

I am returning to being a Mobile DJ again after a 7 year break, and am in the process of buying all the gear. I have recently moved to Newcastle from Manchester, and me and my GF are starting up this new Business.

I will be using Virtual DJ on my Acer Laptop, I have a collection of Music from last time and have updated my collection in the last 7 years too, I am considering signing up to the Virtual DJ Content Unlimited, any thoughts on this would be aprreciated :)

Mike

Edited by BitterVirtue

Re Content Unlimited - I'd suggest at the very least holding off for a few weeks. Although Atomix are saying it's all fully up and running, the selection of tracks available is pretty weak at the moment.

Having said that, in my opinion a DJ shouldn't need to rely on streamed "rented" content for gigs at all.

Ideally you'd have a decent selection of tracks (owned by you) on your hard drive before even starting to go out and gig.

If you're organised, there should be no need to stream or download any music mid-gig. Make sure you're up to date on current chart stuff, number ones from every decade, popular party/cheese tracks and you should be good to go.

Of course you'll get the punters asking for stuff you don't have - but don't feel obliged to play every single request.

If no one else has asked for it and/or you haven't got it, chances are it's no good anyway. Just say you don't have it and either suggest something else yourself or ask them to name another track.

Agree with the above - but as a back up having Napster or Spotify on your mobile allows you to play a requested track that is not on your lappy. No one likes to decline a suitable request if it can be played. Just because you havn't got it doesn't mean the track is no good...

Just because you havn't got it doesn't mean the track is no good...

Well no - there can be times when you are alerted to a hole in your collection. You've heard of the track, you think you have it, but when you search it's not there!

I've had that a few times over the years. Still no harm in admitting defeat. Plug the hole before your next gig. :-)

What I mean is that as a DJ you should be keeping up to speed with current music as well as having extensive knowledge of back catalogue.

Bearing that in mind, if the requested track is not on your radar and no one else has ever asked you for it, then it's more likely that it won't work if you play it.

In other words, If you don't know it and you're the DJ, how likely is it that your punters will know it?

OTOH you can and do learn from your punters sometimes, just like discovering a new track via a web site etc.

I'll be watching the Glastonbury coverage on the prowl for tracks to download. Found a couple already!

Bearing that in mind, if the requested track is not on your radar and no one else has ever asked you for it, then it's more likely that it won't work if you play it.

This rather depends on where you are considering playing it. If you have a full dance floor no DJ would play an unknown track - request or not. However if, like me, you normally play in pubs often people are listening with no intention to dance. Then I would play just about anything - & that can apply to other venues - early in the evening, whilst food is being served etc.

I also am continually listening out for great new tracks - & forgotten old ones - but the sheer volume of released music over the last 50 years means having a comprehensive knowledge of modern recorded music is vittually impossible. But the great thing about being a DJ is discovering, or re-discovering, great music & that comes from numerous sources - requests, recommendations, tv, films, this forum etc etc 

Welcome Mike!

I'm a VDJ user myself but almost exclusively use video material these days. In fact by using videos I see the music I play in a slightly different light and actually format my show as a provider of party and general dance-able music. That way it becomes the service I offer and not to be some form of glorified jukebox - which can lead to the obscure request scenario! As advised though I would stay away from media streaming services as they are not reliable and somewhat questionable in terms of legality in the UK for commercial use.

Although I do still collect music, these days I concentrate on my preferred genre which is Soul, modern and classic/northern and spend time perfecting that - mainly for my radio shows. Each to their own though, no-one will ever have that ultimate comprehensive collection with them at all times.

My suggestion to you as a (re)starter in the industry is to create a unique selling point for yourself/your show. Try not to just compete with all the other regular shows out there otherwise you just become a price to someone and not something of value. I only provide video disco/karaoke now, some people like that and want that (along with my irresistible personality of course!), others might prefer the DJ/show that looks cool and blends into the background and can handle Jazz. Each to their own but make sure you can provide a service and not just music and lights.and sell yourself in that manner. 

Good luck and keep us updated with your shows and successes! 

• Like 1

Speaking for myself - around 80% of venues I work at regularly have no mobile phone reception and either no wi-fi or a connection which is too slow and unreliable to be usable. Generally hotels provide wi-fi for bedroom areas and perhaps public areas but in many cases the function room is at the other end of the hotel and has no reception. The hotel isnt bothered because they dont see why they should provide wifi for 150 party guests to sit on their phones (which I agree with!). Many old buildings have thick stone walls which kill mobile signals or are in remote locations where there is just no signal anyway.

So personally I'd say it was virtual suicide to rely on such things. You could also look at it as a way of being professional - a professional is confidant in saying no where appropriate and for an offbeat, previously unrequested and possibly unheard of song there is no problem with saying no. On the other hand, being seen to use spotify/itunes/unlimited whatever could potentially reinforce the perception of how dumbed down DJing is, how we'll play anything from any source - legal or not and so on.

I'm not saying that is correct or the right way to go - just putting it out there as a viewpoint

Hello and  :welcome:

I use VDJ and love it, still using a DAC2 controller and keep saying I'll get something newer (but never get round to it).

I prefer to avoid streaming services and prefer to have my own music. If I don't have songs I'm happy to admit defeat and recommend others, which often the guests are happy with. No different to the request show I do on the radio.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I have a ton of Music which I've collected over the years, and I download the latest songs from Amazon and the like, I'll hold off on the Content Unlimited, I'd just heard of it from someone and wanted to get peoples opinion on it.